Pet Insurance Compared (Healthy Paws, Pet Plan, Trupanion)

13 Responses

1. Nick says:

This is a nice chart that was thoughtfully done, however you left out Embrace and Pets Best, which are two of the highest rated plans. They also offer wellness and routine care and the 3 companies you featured do not.

Compare Pet Wellness Plans

2. Aylee says:

Thank you Nick for the info. I will look into creating a new comparison chart including 3 more insurance companies that will included Embrace and Pets Best. The three that I included on this post as I mentioned were the top 2 at http://www.petinsurancereview.com and one that a lot of vets recommended. I did look at Embrace and Pets Best before, but didn’t look further as they are a little more expensive for my budget.

3. Nick says:

Hi Aylee,

I appreciate the thoughtful note – let me know when you do a feature on Embrace and Pets Best and I will help promote it.

I really like Healthy Paws, Petplan and Trupanion as well but would put Pets Best and Embrace in that “top tier'” group with them.

I also think petinsurancereview is a good reference point but it’s very limited and the scores are subjective. We incorporate their reviews, ratings from Petinsuranceratings.com, Yelp, BBB and A.M. Best as well to tell the whole. Story.

Keep up the quality work!
    Nick

4. Denise says:

Excellent! I’m trying to finalize my decision… and Healthy Paws look really good to me, but like Trupanion – they both charge an enrollment fee! (NOTE: Trupanions is $35 – not $25.00) As I am playing around, I changed the age of my dog – that made a BIG difference in Healthy Paws prices…

I like Embrace, but they are MUCH more expensive, people seem really happy with both PetsPlan and Trupanion…. so I’m trying to decide! I haven’t looked into Pet’s Best either, since these seem to be the top rated plans mentioned.

I know a lot of people think pet insurance is not worth it (myself previously included) However, my sweet healthy 2 yr. Papillion became suddenly deathly sick over the weekend – we rushed him to an emergency clinic and had to pay upfront $2500. and over the course of his illness… an additional $1,000. All and all the vet bill was over $6,000 .. so had I put away $50 a month (higher than the plans shown) I would have had $1,200 saved for this emergency. Pet insurance is worth it… just like car insurance, you hope you never have to use it, but if you do… it’s there!

5. Nick says:

Denise, I’m sorry to hear about your poor puppy – hopefully he’s okay!

Trupanion and Healthy Paws are great options but I would lean toward Healthy Paws. Also, consider adjusting your deductible and plan with Embrace because you can lower the cost.

Whatever you choose the sooner the better!

6. Aylee says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your pup. I hope he’s better. I agree, I think pet insurance is worth it. I’m glad I got it. My first claim check already covered 2 years worth of premium. Good luck with your decision. I will try to compare Embrace, PetsBest and PetFirst on my next comparison. Nick’s site wwww.petinsurancequotes.com is also a great resource. Thank you for the info about Trupanion’s enrollment fee, I’ll update the comparison.

7. Denise says:

Thanks.. I no longer have this puppy, he was adopted by the vet because of his ongoing medical needs. I have a NEW little girl, :) and I just finally decided to go with Healthy Paws. I know they are a newer company, but they consistently come out on top over and over with reviews and on forums. I was between PetPlan, Embrace, Healthy Paws and Trupanion. Thanks Aylee and Nick for your sites, it helps when really comparing.

8. Denise says:

P.S. your site helped me the most, I found Aylee’s just yesterday.. Great job both of you!

9. Cayce says:

I have had Trupanion for 2 years (the first two of my BT’s life). Each year the plan cost goes up 20%. Now I’m looking at Healthy Paws and Embrace. When I plug in the same info that Trupanion is using, the costs are much lower per month. An important peice of the puzzle in considering plans for me would be, how much is the plan increasing on your yearly anniversary or the calender year.

10. Sarah Y says:

This is a great chart. I have done my own extensive research and felt that Trupanion, PetPlan, and Healthy Paws are the best pet insurance companies out there. I will say I currently have Pets Best and without getting into it, a new underwriter (third underwriter in two or three years), tripled the premium on three of my senior pets. Very disappointing. Of course, I could change to one of their new plans, but all previous claims would be considered pre-existing. So, I’m pretty much stuck with it as I have two pets with chronic illnesses and one terminal. I have one younger pet and I’m going with either Healthy Paws and PetPlan. Trupanion was a close second except it was going to cost a little more. Thanks again for your chart!